Friday, February 25, 2005

I Can So I Do...

I was reading "Veterinary Technician" magazine the other day and I came across an article written by another technician and I thought it was good and her words reminded me of my own thoughts, so i decided to post it on my blog. hopefully those of you who are technicians will appreciate it too...so here goes:

I Can So I Do

I talk myself into going to work everyday. I have just as many complaints, if not more than the average tech.

But I get up and go.

Someone is counting on me.

There is a puppy or a kitten, dog or cat that got itself into a mess and I need to be there for it. There is always a doctor that needs my assistance too. Some animal is sitting in a cage getting IV fluids and it has soiled its cage. It does not want to get urine scald. So I go to work to clean that cage and if possible to take the pet outside for a breath of fresh air. Someone needs their pain meds on schedule because the last dose is wearing off, I need to be there for that.

Most everyone is hungry, so I go to feed them. There is an owner sitting in the waiting room, and that owner is scared because there is a new lump on their dog, and is scared to death it might be a bad thing.

I go to work because maybe I can offer them some company while they are waiting. I can listen to the stories of how great this dog is and how much they love him.

I go to work because I am capable, and I am needed. But I have complaints. I want to have the best of everything. I want more money, I want more help, I want to get along with my co-workers, I want equipment that is fancy and heaven willing a clipper blade that actually clips...hee hee. Minor things...

I go to work because I am not sick, and I wasn't hit by a car, and I did not eat my latest toy, and my BUN is normal, and hairballs are going through my digestive system ok, and I don't need any shots today. Somebody, on the other hand, needs me.

So I am gonna drag my butt out of bed, have my coffee and face the day because I CAN...

By: Pamela Ridley, RVT
St. Louis, MO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home